Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day FEAST

It's Labor Day weekend in the US, so I have NO SCHOOL TODAY!!!! Wheeee!! I got to spend my morning baking a cake that turned out to be pretty darn tasty:














Then I got to visit my most incredible boyfriend of 7 months, Captain Obvious, and give him some!

Here's a bit of what I gave him for his birthday:














The big thing in the middle is a mudcup (what happens when I leave eggs out of a torte, decide it's edible, and FREEZE IT). The things on the side are the actual tortes, which I turned into muffin-like things to make them bite-sized. I also made a version of the Milano cookies from my all-time favorite brand of cookies and made them from scratch out of an almond cookie and a mint-chocolate or raspberry chocolate ganache. The leftover raspberry ganache went into tart shells and made cute little choco-raspberry tartes.

I made some candies, but also forgot to photograph those. They were a variation on those found in the Hershey's chocolate recipe book from the 80's. They were a BIG hit, so now I'm going to play around with them even more and make more flavors.

Anyhow, back to today!

I decided I was going to try something new, since it was a holiday and I had the time. Lucky for me, the local grocery store had ground chicken on sale as well as some house-made sausages. One was blueberry cinnamon (not bad, I made them for breakfast). The other was sweet Italian (INCREDIBLE). I made chicken-burgers out of the chicken, with chopped scallions, Herbes de Provence, (gr, I DESPISE how hard it is to get proper French spelling in here without a long involved process), tarragon, an egg, and some breadcrumbs (probably about... 1/2- 3/4 cup for the whole pound and a half or so of chicken). They grilled beautifully!
Here are the results:














Chicken burgers, sausages, and ciabatta bread.
















POTATO POTATO POTATO!
















Kudos to Dad on his mad presentation skills of the vegetables! Tomato, lettuce, and fancy cucumber!
















The full burger.















The all-inclusive plate, now with carrots! (Oh yeah, we had salad too)

Overall, a mad-awesome labor day. Much feasting.

BONUS PIC!! AND WEEBL REFERENCE!!















PEACHES! (and cream... and chocolate shavings)

No comments: