Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Breakfast and whatnot

Some people may criticize the French, but I find their food and people (the ones I know, at any rate) to be quite nice. I may be biased because I have French family members and because I speak French almost fluently, but nonetheless...

Breakfast this morning was crêpes. Dad woke me up nice and early at 5:20-ish so that I would be awake and civil enough to make them by 6:30. It worked, we had a nice large batch. Here's a picture of one:














Yum!! Chocolate crepe with fresh whipped cream (called Chantilly cream for those who want to be really fancy and put added stuff in there like brandy or extra powdered sugar) and fresh fruit. In this one we have cherries, but my brother was being picky and a standard Stewart morning-grouch and complained (although he has two volumes: loud and LOUDER, even when it's not even 7:00 a.m. which can be really annoying at times), so he had blueberries in his.

And even though it's about a week late, here are the photos of pie! Pie-nots were consumed before photos could be taken... sadly.














Mmmmm pie. Full of apple-y goodness. For wacky British humor on pies, just see www.weebls-stuff.com. The section labeled Weebl and Bob. The other toons are just as hilarious, although not pie-related.

A side note about Stewart morning grumpiness: This is just applicable to the Stewarts in my family, I know Stewart is a common surname, so don't call up an Inquisition. Here, we may be awake 10 minutes after we get out of bed, but we're not civil. We DO NOT talk unless to say that the coffee is done, that breakfast is ready (if it's being made for more than one person), the dog needs to be walked or given food and water, or the comics are good. An occasional "Good morning" or "Hey" can be heard, but that's about the limit of pleasantries. News goes on, lights go on, newspaper is divided up amongst those who are there, and if all is well with the universe and the morning routine is not disturbed, it only takes about 30-40 minutes to civilize. If morning routine gets disturbed, the person feeling the most out of it usually retreats to a dark spot in the house, i.e. the living room or their own room, and wakes up some other way by vegetating a bit in front of the TV or the computer, respectively. After that whole ordeal, most of us can be very nice people to work with! Good thing it only takes 30 minutes or 15 if on "gah, I need to get out of the door or I'm going to be late" mode. This is why you will always find eggs, coffee, and milk in our house. That and a good loud alarm clock.

2 comments:

Gene Starwind said...

There called Freedom Fries for a reason.

Now If you will excuse me I think I am going to make some Freedom Toast.

AMERICA!

the Short Chef said...

"French" Fries are Belgian. Whoever called them French is a liar.