Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Let the celebration unofficially commence!

Great news... I got into Johnson and Wales University! It's all unofficial until October when I'll be receiving the big "yay-you're-in-here's-what-you-need-to-do" package in the mail, but for now I'll still be doing the happy dance. Glee!

It's been a while since I last posted, but that was because I was getting ready to go to J&W University for their Career Explorations summer program. One weekend, one class, one heck of a time. I applied for the Baking and Pastry program this year, as I had done Culinary Arts last year, and it is a complete understatement to say that it was AWESOME. The chefs/instructors are incredible and I learned more about the effects of butter on pastry than I ever had before! My inner geek was dancing for joy! In the labs, we got to test out what a class might be like. There were five culinary "teams" and three baking and pastry. This year, B&P made cookies and strawberry shortcake. The culinary students had a different palate, depending on their group. Some groups did Italian, some did Mediterranean, and some did Thai. After each group finished cooking, a baking and pastry class would bring up some of what they had made to a culinary group and we would eat the culinary group's food. Thumbs up to the group my group sampled! Your Italian was full of yum and awesome!

We had piles of food left on sheetpans after all was said and done. I absolutely HATE wasting food. I'm sure I got some weird looks, but I took my apron and turned into a carrying case for the food I took-- five strawberry shortcakes, all of my cookies that weren't eaten, and a few of my classmates' cookies. Boo yeah.

We then went to Carowinds as part of the weekend, where we all had these baseball shirts with egg-yolk yellow sleeves and detailing. I must've been really lucky, but I won four stuffed animals at the games! I also conveniently broke my non-existent nails trying to do one of the games. I thwacked my nail against the edge of the protective Plexiglas while rolling golfballs into these holes to make a pig go across a stage. I won, and got a stuffed husky dog doll and a gash in my nail as reward!! It was quite a pretty sight, breaking your nail when you keep your nails extraordinarily short for work... I hung out with my roommates during the Carowinds trek, since one of them was pretty familiar with where everything was, and we had a blast.

The next morning, when we had to leave, I found out after the slideshow of our collective escapades that I had gotten into the University! I have this piece of paper saying so, and I'm going to put it into this little "hehehe go me" book, once I make one. Pictures of everything will be uploaded later.

No comments: