Sunday, June 15, 2008

End of the school year

High school has FINALLY come to a close, and with it my career at East Meck's lunch restaurant. Gold Feathers was a success, with Luis and I going full working-chef mode and scaring people (and confusing them) by shouting out kitchen slang for the orders, i.e. "3 beef, 2 chicken, 1 salmon all day" or whatever our tally was, and completely dominating on the orders. Our poor front of the house staff didn't know that we absolutely under any circumstances didn't want the people to change their orders on food, so we had a sliiight insanity mode, plus they kept crowding us to get the food, but we all knocked it out, the seven of us, and had 2 successful services. The "gold" or competition staff was me, Luis, Jaimie, Danielle, Candace (CeCe) (our ever lovely Maîtresse D'Hôte), Asha (key lime patissiere and Maîtresse D'Hôte for the 2nd service), Brandon, and Tommy. We got significant amounts of help from the first and second year students as well.

Work at Santé has taught me quite a bit about life as a chef, even though I only work there part-time. I've had to do the incredibly fun task of working out of a refrigerator when my station's cooler was broken! The plus side was that my cleanup was insanely easy since I didn't have as much to wrap and clean. We've stopped brunch service for the summer, though I don't doubt we'll have some early Saturday jobs or parties now and again.

I graduated from High School yesterday, and it was a nice, not-too-long ceremony. My maternal grandpa and my paternal grandma and aunt were able to make it from NJ, which has made the weekend all the more fun. I had to work Friday night, so to make up for my not being with them I told them to all come to Santé for dinner.

I GOT AN ICE CREAM MACHINE!! So I made a gallon of mint chocolate chip ice cream. It is INSANE. On that note, I need to go serve my ice-cream cake with STUFFS.

Matta ne~

No comments: